How to Ignore the “Addict” Identity (with Mikey G)— Podcast Episode 45!
This is episode 45 of the LPP Podcast (and the 11th segment of the “Sundays With Stories” series).
Sundays With Stories is a segment of the LPP podcast that Dr. Peele and Zach Rhoads created in order to illuminate the myriad natural recovery (recovery without support groups or rehab) stories all around us. They do so because people are often hesitant to tell their own natural recovery own natural recovery stories, for fear that they will upset the addiction industry, or perhaps because they believe their own story is a non-story (they had a problem, then they matured out of it– not exactly a Hollywood movie).
Today Zach Rhoads speaks with Michael Galipeau (AKA Mikey G) about his upbringing in a state-run institution, his years of homelessness, and his relationship (positive and negative) with illicit drug use.
As is par for the course here at “Sundays With Stories”, Mikey G’s “recovery story is NOT your standard Hollywood-infused story. He describes a traumatic past (which he’s not bogged down by), and he describes a relationship with drugs for which he is very thankful.
Once homeless and down on his luck, Mikey is now:
- Co-Producer New York Harvest Festival and Cannabis Freedom Rally Recovery Advocate Dutchess County Behavioral and Community Health Department
- CEO, MG Consulting
- MSW Intern, Urban Survivors Union
- Executive Consultant, Tennessee Recovery Alliance
- New York State Lead, Recovery Advocacy Project
- Trainer and Co-author, Recovery Coaching A Harm Reduction Pathway
- Co-Founder and CEO, Heady Krew Productions.
Perhaps the “addict” identity didn’t fit him very well after all . . .
Relevant Life Process Program Links: